If Baby Seems Cranky For No Reason - Check Her Toe
Kathleen Shipman 2/13/2016
When Scott and Jessica Walker's infant became fussy at an afternoon lunch, neither of them was alarmed. However, little did the parents know that their daughter Molly was actually in danger.
Everything seemed normal...
The Walker family was out at a restaurant when four-month-old Molly became upset. At first, Scott and Jessica thought it was just because she was tired and cranky (which was nothing out of the ordinary). But then - the baby started to get so worked up that she seemed overheated...
Their shocking discovery
In order to help cool Molly down, Jessica removed the infant's socks. It was at this point that she noticed that there was something wrong with her toe. Upon inspection, she saw that a single hair was wrapped around it, which appeared to be cutting through her skin and restricting blood flow.
Fortunately, Jessica was able to use a magnifying glass and tweezers to remove the hair from her daughter's tiny toe. Even though she was able to do so within minutes, the minor damage had already been done. The hair had broken through the skin all of the way around her toe.
A lucky little girl
What had happened to Molly is called hair tourniquet syndrome. This occurs when a hair becomes so tightly wrapped around a person's appendage, that it has the potential of cutting off blood circulation and causing harm. Most commonly, hair tourniquets are found on young babies. Often times parents won't notice that a hair has gotten caught inside one of their child's socks, which then through movement - becomes wound around a toe.
Luckily for the Walkers, Molly was okay...
His message to parents
Although hair tourniquet syndrome isn't very common - it can still happen. For this reason, Scott decided to post his frightening experience with his daughter Molly on Facebook. He closed his message off by saying:
"The doctor told me, for future reference, to always check the toes if the baby is inconsolable. Just an FYI to any parents or care takers out there."
Since Scott created the Facebook post, it has gone viral - collecting more than 31,000 likes and 19,000 shares. You can read his entire message below:
It's always worth it to check...
Thanks to Scott sharing his experience, more parents are now aware of hair tourniquets - and hopefully will be checking their infants for loose hairs. In addition, his story should also be a reminder to keep your eye on a crying baby. After all, there could be something more serious going on than you may think.