The bugs themselves aren't deadly. However, they host a parasite that carries a disease called Chagas. The Centers for Disease Control has targeted Chagas Disease for "public health action." In other words, it's very important for the public to recognize these bugs by sight, and be aware of the symptoms of being bitten by one!
If you're bitten, a cure is available if caught within the first month! That's why it's important to be informed and recognize the symptoms, especially in kids. Skin swelling, rashes, loss of appetite and body aches are some of the signs of a kissing bug bite. If left untreated, the parasite can eventually make its way to the heart and result in death.
This is what kissing bugs actually look like. The parasite can be spread by touching the site of the bite, and then rubbing your eye or mouth with the same hand. Keep your hands off all bug bites, or be very careful of what you touch after accidentally making contact with a bite mark.
If you think you've been bitten by a kissing bug, seek immediate assistance from a medical professional. A test can be performed to confirm the presence of the disease. A course of anti-parasite drugs must be given in order to rid yourself of these parasites for good!
Learn more about these dangerous bugs, and watch what to look out for in your backyard.
Don't Take Chances
If any symptoms develop after a bug bite, get help! The disease is not transmittable from person to person, but pets such as dogs can also get the disease. So don't forget to watch for the signs in Fido too! Tell your friends what to look out for, just in case.